Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Tues., 7/8/08 Devotion (Ps. 143:7)

Today's encouragement comes from Psalm 143:7, where we read these words:

"Answer me speedily, O LORD; my spirit fails! Do not hide Your face from me, lest I be like those who go down into the pit."

Here is a desperate plea. Do you ever feel like this? I know that I do. David (above) wants an immediate answer. He sees himself as slipping down fast; and, from his point of view, unless God acts quickly, he will be lost.

These kinds of prayers please God (I think), because they are so real. They leave no time or opportunity for word-smithing, or for flowery language. Do you feel pretty insecure or fearful today (about anything)? If so, then come to your Savior in prayer. He is very glad to rescue you.

[Puritan quote of the day: "The end [goal] of Christ's coming was to free us from all such groundless fears." --Richard Sibbes, in "The Bruised Reed"]