Monday, August 11, 2008

Mon., 8/11/08 Devotion (Ps. 13:1, 6)

Today's encouragement comes from Psalm 13:1 & 6, where we read these words:

"How long, O LORD? Will You forget me forever? How long will You hide Your face from me? . . . I will sing to the LORD, because He has dealt bountifully with me."

Such is life down here in a fallen world--even among the people of God. David opens his psalm with the lamentable words of, "How
long . . . ?"; and ends it just five verses later with, "[God] has dealt bountifully with me." One moment he is in the pits; two minutes later he is on the mountaintop.

Prudence dictates that we tether ourselves to the Lord Jesus Christ by faith; and that, having done that, we "hang on for the ride." None of us can control our circumstances; but the one thing we *can* and *must* do is to cling tenaciously to Jesus.

[Puritan quote of the day: "[Christ] was love itself clothed with man's nature . . . " --Richard Sibbes, in "The Bruised Reed"]