Monday, December 22, 2008

Mon., 12/22/08 Devotion (2 Chron. 26:15b-16a)

Today's encouragement comes from 2 Chronicles 26:15b & 16a, which says this:

"So [Uzziah's] fame spread far and wide, for he was marvelously helped [by God] till he became strong. But when he was strong his heart was lifted up, to his destruction . . . "

God's true churchmen *are* to become "strong." That is a significant goal of the Christian life, (see Eph. 6:10). But strength is *never* to lead to independence (from God). True, Spirit-wrought strength makes the believer *more*, not less, aware of his or her reliance upon the Lord. To be strong in Christ is to become more humble, more faithful, and more obedient.

King Uzziah of Judah abused his strength, to his own hurt. May we not follow in his steps.

[Puritan quote of the day: "My services are weak, yet I am a child; my graces are feeble, yet I am a child; my desires are faint, my wants many, my enemies strong, yet I have God for my Father. This answers
all." --Robert Harris, in "The Way to True Happiness"]