Friday, January 23, 2009

Fri.-Sabbath, 1/23-25/09 Devotion

Wahoo--it's almost Sunday! In order to help get you ready for church, here is TW, from "The Art of Divine Contentment":

"Be content, by virtue of a decree. Whatever our condition be, God the umpire of the world has from everlasting decreed that condition for us; and by His providence ordered all things thereunto. Let a Christian often think with himself, 'Who has placed me here, whether I am in a high sphere, or in a lower?' Not chance or fortune, as the purblind heathens imagined; no, it is the wise God that has by His providence fixed me in this orb. We must act that scene which God would have us. . . .

"God's providence is that helm which turns about the whole ship of the universe. Say then, as holy David, 'I was dumb, I opened not my mouth, because You, Lord, did it,' (Ps. 39:9). God's providence, which is nothing else but the carrying on of His decree, should be a counterpoise against discontent. God has set us in our station, and He has done it in wisdom. We fancy such a condition of life is good for us; whereas if we were our own carvers, we should often cut the worst piece. . . . "