Monday, May 17, 2010

Mon., 5/17/10 Devotion (1 Pet. 4:8b)

Today's encouragement comes from 1 Peter 4:8b, where we read these words:

" . . . For 'love will cover a multitude of sins.' "

This is a neat and blessed truth for us to hang onto, and to practice. "Love covers sins" by overlooking them. All sane people do this a lot. Regenerated churchmen do it consciously. Self-righteous people do not do it at all--since they believe that no one should dare offend them, (because they think they are "god").

Some sins, of course, have to be dealt with in a more formal way--but the vast majority of sins are to be simply "covered in love." God is merciful with us, and does not hound us over every offense. Those of us who have received mercy from Christ are more than happy to give it to others, (as we recognize how wonderful it is).

[Puritan quote of the day: "My services are weak, yet I am a child; my graces are feeble, yet I am a child; my desires are faint, my wants many, my enemies strong, yet I have God for my Father. This answers all." --Robert Harris, in, "The Way to True Happiness"]