Friday, September 17, 2010

Fri.-Sabbath, 9/17-19/10 Devotion

Wahoo--Sunday is *almost* here! We GET to go to church! Here is an amazing quote from Martin Luther, in his remarkable book, entitled, "Commentary on Galatians," (an all-time favorite book of mine)! . . .

"To be brief, all the enemies which did before torment and oppress me, Christ Jesus has brought to nothing: He has spoiled them, and made a show of them openly, triumphing over them by His cross (Col. 2:15), in such sort that they can now rule and reign no more over me, but are constrained to obey me.

"By this we may plainly see that there is nothing here for us to do, only it belongs to us, to hear that these things have been wrought and done in this sort, and by faith to apprehend the same. Now when I have thus apprehended Christ by faith, and through Him am dead to the law, then I do good works, I love God, I give thanks to Him, I exercise charity towards my neighbors. But this charity or works fol-
lowing, do neither form nor adorn my faith, but my faith forms and adorns charity. This is our divinity [doctrine], which seems strange and marvelous, or rather, foolish to carnal reason: namely, that I am not only blind and deaf to the law, yea, delivered and freed from the law, but also wholly dead unto the same."