Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Wed., 7/20/11 Devotion (Ps. 31:14-15a)

Today's encouragement comes from Psalm 31:14 & 15a, where David gave us these wonderful words:

"But as for me, I trust in You, O LORD; I say, 'You are my God.' My times are in Your hand . . . "

I like this prayer, because it is very basic. Let others do what they will, but let the believing Christian trust in Christ. Let others worry themselves silly over details of life that mean little, if anything; but let the faithful churchman call God his God, and leave him- or herself in the Lord's hands.

This is not abrogation, neglect, nor hiding one's head in the sand. In-
stead, it is living faith in Jesus--which is the only way to deal with life's struggles, be they great or small.

[Puritan quote of the day: "Professing Christians, by indulging their sloth, seek their own ease and comfort; but they defeat their own aim. The most laborious and the most self-denying Christians are the most happy." --Jonathan Edwards, in his sermon, "The Character of Paul an Example to Christians"]