Monday, December 1, 2014

Mon., 12/1/14 Devotion (1 Chron. 29:3)

Today's encouragement comes from 1 Chronicles 29:3, where we read these words of David, inspired by the Holy Spirit:

"Moreover, because I have set my affection on the house of my God, I have given to the house of my God, over and above all that I have prepared for the holy house, my own special treasure of gold and silver."

Whatever we value and love, we adorn. David esteemed the house of his God, having affection for it. Jesus loves His church, and bedecks her with all His gracious jewels, (cf. Rev. 21:10 ff.). Whatever or whoever we love, we are careful to bestow high honor on.

The wise and happy person loves what God loves; and invests his or her life in beautifying what will last forever. Let us set our affection on the Son of God and house of God, even as David did.

[Puritan quote of the day: "For the greatest and most glorious work that you can perform is not nearly worth so much as one drop of the blood of Christ."
--Jeremiah Burroughs, in, "Gospel Remission"]