Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Wed., 5/10/17 Devotion (Ps. 56:3-4)

Today's encouragement comes from Psalm 56, vv. 3 & 4, where David wrote these words:

"Whenever I am afraid, I will trust in You. In God (I will praise His word), in God I have put my trust; I will not fear. What can flesh do to me?"

God's children are, from time-to-time, afraid. David had his problems; and un-doubtedly, we have ours. It is precisely at the exact moment of fear, however, that we are most able to strengthen ourselves in God's grace, and trust Him. This trust, then, has the effect of turning fear away from us. After that, a re-newed sense of confidence arises in our hearts, which allows us to say, "What can flesh do to me?"

Let us not be undone by fear. Instead, we should turn it on its head; and use it for our own advantage. Let us see it as a fresh opportunity to trust God.

[Puritan quote of the day: "Purity of heart is the jewel which is hung only upon the elect. As chastity distinguishes a virtuous woman from a harlot, so the true saint is distinguished from the hypocrite by his heart-purity.” —Thomas Watson, in, "The Beatitudes"]