Monday, April 19, 2010

Mon., 4/19/10 Devotion (Ps. 30:2)

Today's encouragement comes from Psalm 30, v. 2, which says this:

"O LORD my God, I cried out to You, and You healed me."

In the Bible (particularly in the Psalms) there is quite an emphasis on "crying out to" God. I think the meaning is that we are to be very earnest in our petitions to the Lord. He wants to see wholehearted-
ness in us, and this is best manifest in prayers.

The cultures that many of us come from are not all that demonstra-
tive; and even though false enthusiasm is to be decried; I wonder if we may not be able to "ratchet up" a little more passion in our pleas to God. At any rate, let us be as sincere as we can be, as we bring our hearts before the Lord in prayer.

[Puritan quote of the day: "God is very jealous of our trust, and can endure no idol of jealousy to be set up in our hearts." --Richard Sibbes, in, "The Soul's Conflict with Itself"]