Thursday, October 27, 2011

Thurs., 10/27/11 Devotion (Ps. 119:64)

Today's encouragement comes from Psalm 119:64, where we read these words:

"The earth, O LORD, is full of Your mercy; teach me Your statutes."

We ought to be glad to read that the earth is full of God's mercy. This becomes an impetus for our wanting to know God better, (hence, the psalmist's desire to be taught God's word). If the earth was not full of God's mercy, we could not function down here, in a fallen universe.

This mercy is both general, expressed in common grace (to all men); and redemptive, expressed in saving grace (to the believing members of the church). Let us be thankful that God's mercy is abundant; and let us seek the best of His gifts: the atonement of Jesus, and the benefits that flow therefrom.

[Puritan quote of the day: " 'It is hard to be a Christian! There are strict laws, severe discipline, and no liberty! Woe is me. I am so limit-
ed and hedged in on all hands that there is no liberty left me to be miserable. If I will be His, I must be happy.' " --Richard Alleine, in "Heaven Opened"]