Thursday, April 17, 2014

Thurs., 4/17/14 Devotion (Ps. 27:1)

Today's encouragement comes from Psalm 27:1, where we read these words:

"The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?"

This is a logical deduction of every faithful Christian churchman. If Christ is in-deed our light and our salvation--how can anyone hurt us? Therefore, why should that person be feared? If the Lord is our life's strength, then what ene-my can possibly stand up to Him? Therefore, why should we cower before the foe?

Believers in Christ are the only ones in all the world with enough sense to know that there are real and fatal dangers out there. But ironically, we are al-so the only ones who have no cause to fear them. Let us trust Christ for all things; and worry about nothing.

[Puritan quote of the day: "The wounds of secure sinners will not be healed with sweet words." --Richard Sibbes, in, "The Bruised Reed"]