Monday, April 28, 2008

Mon., 4/28/08 Devotion (Ps. 39:7-8a)

Today's encouragement comes from Psalm 39:7 & 8a, where we read these words:

"And now, Lord, what do I wait for? My hope is in You. Deliver me from all my transgressions . . . "

David here seems to be in a musing state of mind. He is wondering: "What am I intent on? What is important to me?" And his answer, interestingly, is along these lines: "Let me experience the glorious liberty of the forgiveness of my sins."

We all ought to ask ourselves today: "Why am I doing what I am doing? Why am I here? What do I want most in life?" If our answer is, "My desire is to better know Christ, and live for Him"--then we are on the right track; and our lives make a difference, as they move toward a legitimate and good goal.

[Puritan quote of the day: "In the covenant of grace God requires the truth of grace, and not any certain measure." --Richard Sibbes, in "The Bruised Reed"]