Thursday, April 17, 2008

Thurs., 4/17/08 Devotion (Ps. 27:1)

Today's encouragement comes from Psalm 27:1, where we read these words:

"The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?"

This is a logical deduction of every faithful churchman. If Christ is our light and salvation--how can anything hurt us? Therefore, why should it be feared? If the Lord is our life's strength, then what enemy can possibly stand up to Him? Therefore, why should the foe be feared?

Believers are the only ones with enough sense to know that there are dangers in the world. But ironically, they are also the only ones who have no cause to fear them. Let us trust God for all things; and worry about nothing.

[Puritan quote of the day: "The wounds of secure sinners will not be healed with sweet words." --Richard Sibbes, in "The Bruised Reed"]