Thursday, August 26, 2010

Thurs., 8/26/10 Devotion (Ps. 34:4)

Today's encouragement comes from Psalm 34:4, where we read these words:

"I sought the LORD, and He heard me, and delivered me from all my fears."

It is a lovely blessing to be delivered from fears. Fears are like mos-
quitoes--once you have driven them out, there are more that show up. It is not shameful to have fears. But only faith-filled churchmen can be truly "delivered" from them. And how? By exercising faith, in seek-
ing (or calling on) the Lord.

Here is a good prayer: "Father, I do not trust myself. Today, I am en-
tirely dependent upon Christ. I place my faith in Him, not in myself or anyone else. Give me victory over all my fears and foes--in Jesus." What happened to David (above), is our right too, as children of God.

[Puritan quote of the day: "The hypocrite takes more care to make a covenant than to keep it, and is more studious to enter into religion than that religion should enter into him." --Thomas Watson, in his ser-
mon, "God's Anatomy upon Man's Heart"]