Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Tues., 8/10/10 Devotion (Ps. 11:1)

Today's encouragement comes from Psalm 11:1, where we read these words:

"In the LORD I put my trust; how can you say to my soul, 'Flee as a bird to your mountain'?"

David here (above) is basically saying, "Since I trust the Lord, why should I take your counsel, and seek some artificial escape (from what troubles me)?" The world is quick to give its advice. It usually goes along these paths: "Do you have a hassle? Then, divorce it. Look out for 'Number One'."

The problem with this "solution" (among other things), is that, 1) this doesn't work; it only makes things worse; and 2) more-importantly, it does not honor God--in that our faith is to cause us to take on chal-
lenges, rather than run away from them. Let all Christ's churchmen have David's spirit, and not that of the world's.

[Puritan quote of the day: "They have armies on their side, and strength and powers of the world on their side; but we have truth and God on our side!" --Christopher Love, in, "The Dejected Soul's Cure"]