Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Wed., 4/17/13 Devotion (Ps. 27:1)

Today's encouragement comes from Psalm 27:1, where David wrote these great words:

"The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?"

Life contains many fearful moments, events, and even people. But the Christian believer need not be overwhelmed by these. And the way we overcome the fear of man, is through our greater fear of God. It was only because the Lord *was* David's "light and salvation," and "the strength of [his] life"--that he was able to conquer subordinate "fears."

Are we feeling unsettled today? Let us recognize that Christ is our love, and our fear. With this perspective, we cannot be intimidated.

[Puritan quote of the day: "When the times are troublesome, a good conscience makes it calm. If the conscience is clear, so what if the days are cloudy?" --Thomas Watson, in, "The Art of Divine Content-ment"]