Friday, July 31, 2026

Fri.-Sabbath, 7/31-8/2/26 Devotion

Praise God—Sunday is almost here again. In order to prepare us for church worship on the Sabbath Day, here are some very good words from Thomas Goodwin, from his, “The Object and Actings of Justifying Faith” book.  (I have updated some of the language.) . . .

“Let me tell you, that when your souls are first turned to God, and when you believe, though perhaps you know neither the time nor the thing I now speak of, yet notwithstanding, even at that time, God the Father rises up in heaven (as I may so express it), and as Jesus Christ said to His mother when He hung upon the cross, ‘Woman, behold your son,’ so says God the Father, ‘Son, over there is a soul which I gave You from everlasting, for which You died upon the cross, and now is the fullness of the time for You to have mercy upon that soul. Go take him and own him for Yourself, and actually now pos-sess him.’ This you have here in Jn. 6:37: ‘All that the Father gives Me shall come to Me.’ Here is, you see, a giving before our coming, and it is a giving at the present time, to distinguish it from that [giving] from everlasting; a deed of gift is made, and that by the Father; an actual delivery [is made], whereby the soul is put into the hands of Jesus Christ."

https://theologicaltreatisesinretirement.blogspot.com
https://henningerdevotions.blogspot.com/